This recipe can be prepared as a side dish, or add a little meat and it becomes a main course. Take care not to overcook the greens so that they come off the stove with some texture and color.
- 3 pounds collard greens, rinsed thoroughly
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pound frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken or pork (optional), cut into bite-size pieces
Remove the tough ribs on the collard greens. Stack the leaves and slice into 1-inch thick slices. In a large pot, add the chicken broth, crushed red pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil. Stir in the collard greens. Cook over medium heat for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Add the frozen vegetables, salt and sugar and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the meat, if adding, and cook for an additional minute. Serve hot.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller