These are great for a light summer lunch.
- 1 small eggplant peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or as needed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 French sandwich rolls 6 inches each
- 1 small tomato sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt eggplant slices and let them sit for 30 minutes to let the excess water drain. Blot with a paper towel. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil, and cook on grill or under broiler for 10 minutes, until tender and toasted. Split the French rolls lengthwise and toast. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and garlic. Spread this mixture on the toasted roll. Fill the rolls with eggplant slices, tomato, feta cheese and basil leaves. Serve hot.