Who said salads have to be green? This one combines smoky onions with the juicy goodness of tomatoes and undoubtedly serves as a wonderful accompaniment to a grilled steak.
- 2 large red onions skins removed and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided use
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound ripe beefsteak tomatoes cored and cut into 3/4 inch thick wedges
- 10 fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Place the onions on a baking sheet. Thread the slices onto skewers and brush both sides of each slice with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill onions over a medium hot fire turning once, until streaked with dark grill marks, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer the onions to a cutting board and cool slightly. Remove the skewers. Cut the onion slices in half, then place them in a serving bowl and toss gently to separate the layers.
Add the tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste to the bowl with the onions. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil and the vinegar over the salad; toss gently. Cover and set aside at room temperature for up to an hour before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller