Apples from Rittman Orchards and all across Ohio begin coming on from mid-summer through late fall presenting many opportunities to make this salad. Be sure to mix the flavors, textures and colors of the apples to balance the look and taste.
- 6 seasonal apples halved, cored and cut into julienne or matchstick pieces
- 1/4 pound prosciutto cut into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more if needed
- Slices of rustic bread oiled and lightly grilled or toasted
Place all of the ingredients except for the bread slices in a large bowl and toss until combined. Taste and adjust salt, if necessary. Arrange on chilled salad plates and serve with the bread.
Makes 6 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller