Seasonal berries or thawed frozen fruit make a great accompaniment to this cake.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 3-4 cups sliced seasonal berries or thawed frozen fruit
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan. Gently heat the butter and milk in a small saucepan until the butter is melted. Set aside. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Beat at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add to the egg mixture and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and the milk mixture to the batter and mix on medium speed until blended, about 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before slicing and serving with the fruit.
Makes 10-12 servings.