This salad has it all–the best melons of the season, the best flavors, amazing color…and a little nip of rum and lime to add a tropical flair to homegrown flavors. Spoon it into dessert cups for an “after dinner drink” or skewer with toothpicks and plate as an appetizer. If available, add a handful of fresh seasonal berries for contrast.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 slice sugar
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 cups cantaloupe cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups watermelon cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups honeydew melon cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 -1 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries if available
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, shaking (not stirring) the pan once or twice until the sugar is dissolved. Add the rum and simmer for a few more minutes until the sharp alcohol aroma has disappeared. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes. Add the lime juice and zest.
Combine the melons in a large bowl. Pour the syrup over the melon mixture and toss gently to combine. Cover and chill for at least four hours before serving. If using seasonal berries, toss in just before serving.
Serve as dessert in individual dessert glasses or skewer with toothpicks for appetizers or after dinner “drinks.”
Makes 6 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller