This recipe by Amy Forrest of In Good Taste Catering took top prize in the 2011 Lamb Jam Contest at the Ohio State Fair.
- 8 medium peaches (approximately 2 pounds) peeled, pitted and chopped
- 4 to 6-inch piece fresh ginger peeled and divided into 4 equal pieces
- 2 teaspoons large shallots chopped fine
- 6 granulated sugar
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- kosher salt
- cup fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 flour
- 8 lamb loin chops 1 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Combine peaches, ginger, shallots, sugar, thyme and rosemary sprigs, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peaches have broken down and juices are released, about 20 minutes. Remove thyme and rosemary sprigs and ginger pieces. Cover and set aside.
Combine flour, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in wide, shallow dish and stir to combine. Dredge chops in flour mixture, shake off excess and transfer to plate. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chops in single layer and cook, turning once until golden brown on all sides. Cook to 145 degrees, for medium rare to medium chops.
Mash the peach chutney with a potato masher until slightly chunky. Transfer chops to platter and serve with chutney.
Makes 4 servings.