One-pot meals are not only wonderful time savers and easy clean up but they allow wonderful ingredients like smoked sausage, apples and cabbage to mingle together for great taste in every bite.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 large tart, firm apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1 pound smoked sausage (turkey, chicken or pork), cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Combine the brown sugar, garlic, salt, nutmeg, pepper and allspice in a small bowl.
In a large oven-safe casserole or a Dutch oven, layer half of each of the cabbage, onion, apple and sausage. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining cabbage, onion, apple, sausage and brown sugar mixture. Pour the cider and vinegar over the top.
Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more cider if the mixture appears to be dry. Serve hot with crusty bread and warm applesauce.
Photo by Jodi Miller