Fresh mint adds a light touch to this refreshing salad.
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons water
- 2 bags fresh sugar snap peas snapped in half
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound strawberries stemmed and cut into slices
In small saucepan, bring to boil ½ cup water, ½ bunch mint leaves (left as a bunch), sugar, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Lower heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In cup, stir cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water to make a paste, then stir paste into saucepan. Bring to full boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes. Strain the cooked mint from dressing. In large bowl, add sugar snap peas, onion and strawberries. Coarsely chop remaining bunch of mint. Gently toss the dressing and mint over the fruit and vegetables. Serve chilled.
Photo by Galen Ludwick Harris