Wonderfully fresh and sweet, this salsa is often served as a dessert salsa or an appetizer. Make it a day ahead and cover and refrigerate.
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and coarsely chopped
- 2 small Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large kiwi peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small orange zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1 package won ton wrappers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
To prepare the salsa, mix the strawberries, apples and kiwi together in a medium mixing bowl. Add orange zest and juice, brown sugar and apple jelly. Mix together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the cinnamon chips, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the won ton wrappers in half on the diagonal from corner to corner for triangular shaped chips. Place on a baking tray and lightly brush each one with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake until lightly browned, checking every five minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve with the salsa.
Store extra for up to two days in a sealed container.
Note: As a variation, add a tablespoon or more of chopped fresh cilantro or a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger.
Makes approximately 12 appetizer servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller