This simple stuffed peppers recipe makes 4 servings.
- 4 medium green peppers top removed and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh corn or canned corn (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook peppers in boiling water 5 to 8 minutes, drain well. Turn cut side down to drain. Sauté chopped onion and ground beef until brown, drain. Add tomato sauce, corn, chili powder and salt. Fill drained peppers with meat mixture and place in deep baking dish; add 1/2 inch water to bottom of baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes; sprinkle tops of peppers with grated cheese. Continue baking another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 4.
Photo by Galen Ludwick Harris