Enjoy this with rice and pita bread.
- 1/4 cup corn or canola oil
- 3 pounds pumpkin peeled, seeds and strings removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided use
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger root grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- crushed dried mint leaves
- 2 cups cooked rice and pita bread slices to accompany
- 1 clove garlic crushed
Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a lid. Fry the pumpkin cubes on all sides until lightly browned.
In a small bowl, mix together one clove garlic, water, salt, sugar, tomato sauce, ginger root, coriander, and pepper. Add to the pumpkin mixture in the fry pan. Cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, the other garlic clove, and salt.
To serve, spoon the cooked pumpkin and sauce over the rice. Drizzle some of the yogurt mixture over the top and sprinkle with dried mint. Serve with the pita bread.
Makes 6 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller