Include pesto and red peppers to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
- 8 1/2-inch thick slices of bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Gouda, Havarti, Swiss, cheddar or a combination)
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced into thin strips
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and rub with the cut garlic clove. On half of the slices, spread one tablespoon of pesto on the side not brushed with oil. Top the pesto with the roasted red pepper strips and ½ cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper and top with remaining bread slices, oiled side up. Heat a large heavy skillet or griddle over medium low heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until crisp and golden about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
Photo by Jodi Miller