If you like the strong flavor of toasted sesame oil and fresh ginger, you’ll enjoy this appetizer.
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 carrot quartered and sliced
- 1 pound firm tofu drained and mashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger cut against the grain in "coins" and chopped
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh is preferred
- 1 tomato chopped
- Bibb or other tender medium leafed lettuce
In a nonstick pan, heat the sesame oil on medium; add carrots and sauté for a few minutes, add tofu then ginger. Cook and stir until slightly browned. Mix tamari, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over browned tofu. Continue cooking over medium/low heat until the liquid has evaporated. Serve the ginger tofu warm with tomato and lettuce on the side or wrap into leaves just prior to serving.
Appetizer for 4.
Photo by Galen Ludwick Harris