A simple one dish dinner for that leftover turkey.
- 4 cups whole wheat ziti or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey breast (1/2 inch dice)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a shallow two to three-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, chicken broth, wine and pepper (optional); bring mixture to a boil. Stir in mushrooms, reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and mushrooms are softened.
Stir Parmesan cheese, pasta, turkey and peas into the milk mixture; spoon into prepared dish. Top with Cheddar cheese and cover loosely with foil. Bake about 45 minutes or until bubbling at edges and heated through.
Note: Pasta is 4 cups dry/8 cups cooked.
Visit the National Dairy Council website.