Spicy Italian style sausage adds zip to this tomato-based chili.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian style sausage
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1/2 cup water
- Crushed red pepper
- Grated Parmesan
Set crock pot to low. Add olive oil and tomatoes.
In a medium sized skillet, brown ground beef and sausage. Drain off excess fat and add browned meat to crock pot.
Add remaining ingredients, reserving some basil and thyme for garnish. Cook on low temperature until the cannellini beans are tender (2 to 3 hours). Serve topped with Parmesan cheese, reserved herbs and crusty bread.