The traditional taste of tzatziki, a refreshing staple on Greek tables, comes through in this slimmed down version that uses cottage cheese. Mezze are small dishes served as appetizers…made even better with a glass of white wine.Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, drained
- 1 seedless cucumber, shredded, squeeze out excess moisture
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pita chips
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh dill fronds, to garnish
Combine the cottage cheese, cucumber, 1 tablespoon of the oil, vinegar, garlic, dill, mint, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
To serve, divide the tzatziki among 4 small bowls or ramekins set on small plates. Arrange the pita chips, cherry tomatoes and olives around the tzatzikis. Whisk together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice, a pinch of salt and few grinds of black pepper and drizzle over the tzatzikis and accompaniments. Garnish with the dill fronds and serve.