- 3 cups 1/2 inch cubes watermelon rind (green skin removed)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring them to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about one hour stirring occasionally until the watermelon rind is tender and translucent. Cool before storing in an airtight container or jar and refrigerate for up to two months.
Makes 3 1/2 cups.