- 5 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups seasoned dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 cup light cream or half and half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray. In a medium saucepan, cook squash and onion in a small amount of boiling water; cover for 3 to 5 minutes until tender crisp. Drain.
In mixing bowl, stir eggs, 1 cup breadcrumbs, cream, 1/2 cup cheese, thyme and pepper. Gently stir in squash mixture.
Spoon into prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, toss remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and butter. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake covered for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until top is browned and mixture is set.
Submitted by Esther McCoy, Dillonvale