Meet the 2022 winner, Barrett Zimmerman, the state’s Ag Educator of the Year.Read More
Young Agricultural Professionals State Committee Chaircouple John and Sarah Bolte said the opportunity to get to know people from across the state better and learning about their involvement in agriculture and Farm Bureau is what they have enjoyed most about their YAP state committee experience so far.
“We are about building relationships. We are all about that. That is our favorite part of being on the committee,” Sarah said. “We all have some sort of passion for agriculture. We hope that we can help other young people like ourselves. We can help them learn from our mistakes and our challenges in starting our own farming operation and we can help them do it better.”
Vice Chaircouple Jonathan and Alyssa Zucker said they believe in Farm Bureau and enjoy being a part of the organization, from local, community involvement to this statewide leadership opportunity.
“I wanted to be on the committee ever since I went to our first YAP Conference,” Jonathan said. “We have enjoyed YAP and the community that comes with it. It is enjoyable to see our friends from college mixed with new people. That is our biggest selling point, the community.”
Ohio Farm Bureau members ages 18-35 who would like to help guide future YAP programming are invited to apply to serve on the 2023-2025 Young Agricultural Professionals State Committee. Applications are due by May 13, 2022 and applicants will be notified of their selection by July 31.
The committee is composed of eight members or couples who suggest, develop and conduct activities that provide opportunities for young couples and singles to become involved in the programs of Ohio Farm Bureau (county, regional and state levels). Members also serve as Young Ag Professionals resource leaders to Farm Bureau and actively recruit and encourage Young Ag Professionals participation in Farm Bureau activities.
Selection is based on Farm Bureau involvement, leadership potential and community service. Committee members serve a two-year term that begins at Ohio Farm Bureau’s annual meeting in December and expires two years later at the Young Ag Professionals Leadership Conference in January. Four new couples or singles are appointed each year. Virtual interviews will occur May 24 between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 34 and not have reached 34th birthday before Dec. 31, 2022.
- Current Ohio Farm Bureau member and active in county Farm Bureau.
- Couples must be a union recognized by the state.
- Past participant in one or more of the following Young Agricultural Professionals activities: an OFBF YAP Leadership Conference or Washington, D.C. Leadership Experience, or a YAP contest.
- From a county not currently represented on the committee (Henry, Seneca, Marion, Hardin, Ashland, Clark, Lorain, and Fayette County members are ineligible this year.)
- Previous committee members are not permitted to apply for a second term.
- Current AgriPOWER Institute participants are not eligible to serve on the committee.
- May not participate in a Young Agricultural Professionals contest while currently serving on the committee.
- May not apply for the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation board YAP seat during term on the state committee.
Members are expected to be present at all meetings and activities. Below are some of the anticipated committee meetings:
- July 7 and 14, 2022 – New committee member on-boarding
- Sept. 18, 2022- One-day professional development meeting
- Dec. 7-8, 2022- Committee meeting and Ohio Farm Bureau annual meeting
- Jan. 26-28, 2023 – YAP Winter Leadership Experience, Kalahari Resorts
- March 3-6, 2023- American Farm Bureau Young Farmer & Rancher Leadership Conference, Jacksonville, Florida
- March 18-19, 2023- Two-day committee meeting to plan 2024 Winter Leadership Conference and YAP year-long programming.
- June 2023 — Virtual committee meeting.
- August 2023 – Committee retreat
- Sept. 17, 2023 – Fall committee business meeting
- Dec. 6-7, 2023 – Ohio Farm Bureau annual meeting and committee business meeting
- Plus dates in 2024
See the application for more information and all eligibility requirements. Please notify the county Farm Bureau office when application is submitted. Deadline to apply: May 13, 2022.
I'm eternally grateful for the support Ohio Farm Bureau scholarships provided in helping me turn my dreams into reality.Available scholarships
I see the value and need to be engaged in the community I live in, to be a part of the decision-making process and to volunteer with organizations that help make our community better.Leadership development
With not growing up on a farm, I’d say I was a late bloomer to agriculture. I feel so fortunate that I found the agriculture industry. There are so many opportunities for growth.Growing our Generation
Labor has always been an issue, mainly because we are a seasonal operation. So that's a challenge finding somebody who only wants to work three months out of a year, sometimes up to six months.Business Solutions
Farm Bureau involvement has taught me how to grow my professional and leadership experience outside of the workforce and how to do that in a community-centric way.Young Ag Professionals program
If it wasn't for Farm Bureau, I personally, along with many others, would not have had the opportunity to meet with our representatives face to face in Washington.Washington, D.C. Leadership Experience
Charlie and Casey Ellington from Stark County are the editors of the October 2022 Growing our Generation enewsletter, featuring insights and ideas directly from Ohio’s young farmers and food and agricultural professionals.Read More
Application deadline is Oct. 6 at noon. Selected chapters will be announced on or before Nov. 1, 2022.Read More
Greg and Andrew joined a multitude of Ohio Farm Bureau representatives at the nation’s capital Sept. 13-15.Read More
The Outstanding Young Farmer contest is designed to recognize successful young farmers, age 35 or younger, for achievements in the business of farming and leadership in the agricultural community.Read More
If you work primarily off the farm and are a leader in Farm Bureau and the community, then this contest is for you.Read More
Coverage from the annual county leaders trip to Washington, D.C.Read More
Jonanthan and Alyssa Zucker farm in Marion and Wyandot counties. They are in their last term on the State Young Agricultural Professionals Committee and serve as co-chairs.Read More
The 10 individuals selected to earn an expense-paid trip to this experience will be announced at the 2023 Winter Leadership Experience Jan. 27-28, 2023. Apply by Jan. 13.Read More