Date/Time
Date(s) - June 25, 2024
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Loading Map....

Categories

Barn at Night bookBelmont County Farm Bureau volunteers will be reading the award winning book “Barn at Night” by Michelle Houts during the summer reading program on Tuesday, June 25 at 2 p.m. at Barnesville Library Annex, Barnesville.

Children will explore the benefits and functions of different types of barns and use problem-solving skills to build a model of a hay barn along with other activities.

Houts of Celina wrote “Barn at Night” 20 years ago while watching her three children grow up on a 2,000-acre family farm in Mercer County.

“Chores were part of everyday life, but I realized that what was mundane during the day ended up being magical at night, especially in winter, and that’s the atmosphere I wanted to create in the book,” Houts said. “I’d be standing in the kitchen looking out at the barn at night, and I know from watching my kids that there was something really special about going out to feed the animals with their dad.”

“Barn at Night,” with art by Jen Betton, and published by Feeding Minds Press (a project of the American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture), has won SILVER in the Picture Book for age 4-8 category of the Moonbeam Books Awards. The Moonbeam Awards celebrate youthful curiosity and discovery through books and reading.