Thanksgiving turkey dinner

U.S. consumers will pay less for their favorite Thanksgiving dinner foods, including turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and milk, based on a new American Farm Bureau Federation Thanksgiving dinner cost survey.

The average cost of Thanksgiving dinner fixings for 10 people is $61.17, which breaks down to just over $6 per person. The overall cost for the holiday meal is down 4.5% or about $3 from last year, but the cost is still more than 25% higher than it was in 2019, which highlights the impact high supply costs and inflation have had on food prices.

“Because turkey is about half of the cost of the basket, any reduction in turkey prices ends up having a pretty substantial impact on the total cost,” said AFBF Senior Economist Veronica Nigh. “Turkey is down 5.6%. The big reason is that we didn’t have nearly as many cases of high path avian influenza. There were 95% fewer cases this year.”

Survey results showed the retail price for a 16 pound turkey at $27.35, down 5.6% from last year.

Most foods in the national survey decreased in price, while pumpkin pies, veggie trays and dinner rolls increased in price compared to a year ago. Nigh says whether prices went up or down, the amount of the food dollar used to produce the foods we’ll enjoy this year remains low.

“Only 14% of the food dollar is attributable to the underlying cost of ag products,” Nigh said. “The other 86% is the marketing, the transportation, the packaging, the labor, all to get it from the farmer’s operation to the Thanksgiving dinner table.”

Ohio survey results

For Ohio shoppers, the Thanksgiving dinner receipt will be slightly lower than the national average for the same market basket items at $59.24, with the biggest differences being noticed in green peas (38% lower), milk (36% lower), sweet potatoes (34% lower), whipping cream (19% lower) and pumpkin pie (18% lower).

Ohioans will pay higher prices on items like cranberries (24% higher), dinner rolls (8% higher) and turkey (3% higher), compared to the national average.

Individual Prices for Ohio

16 lb. frozen turkey, $28.20

30 oz. pumpkin pie mix, $3.76

1 gallon whole milk, $2.64

1 lb. veggie tray, $.85

12 dinner rolls, $4.15

2 frozen pie shells, $3.72

1 lb. frozen green beans, $1.36

12 oz. fresh cranberries, $2.61

1 half pint whipping cream, $1.45

3 lb. sweet potatoes, $2.97

14 oz. bag cubed stuffing, $3.78

Ohio Farm Bureau’s mission is working together for Ohio farmers to advance agriculture and strengthen our communities. Learn more at

This is a news release for use by journalists. Questions should be directed to Ty Higgins, 614-246-8231 or [email protected]

Photo courtesy National Turkey Federation
Labor has always been an issue, mainly because we are a seasonal operation. So that's a challenge finding somebody who only wants to work three months out of a year, sometimes up to six months.
Mandy Way's avatar
Mandy Way

Way Farms

Farm Labor Resources
I appreciate the benefit of having a strong voice in my corner. The extras that are included in membership are wonderful, but I'm a member because of the positive impact to my local and state agricultural communities.
Ernie Welch's avatar
Ernie Welch

Van Wert County Farm Bureau

Strong communities
I see the value and need to be engaged in the community I live in, to be a part of the decision-making process and to volunteer with organizations that help make our community better.
Matt Aultman's avatar
Matt Aultman

Darke County Farm Bureau

Leadership development
Farm Bureau involvement has taught me how to grow my professional and leadership experience outside of the workforce and how to do that in a community-centric way.
Jaclyn De Candio's avatar
Jaclyn De Candio

Clark County Farm Bureau

Young Ag Professionals program
With not growing up on a farm, I’d say I was a late bloomer to agriculture. I feel so fortunate that I found the agriculture industry. There are so many opportunities for growth.
Jenna Gregorich's avatar
Jenna Gregorich

Coshocton County Farm Bureau

Growing our Generation
Knowing that horticulture is under the agriculture umbrella and having Farm Bureau supporting horticulture like it does the rest of ag is very important.
Jared Hughes's avatar
Jared Hughes

Groovy Plants Ranch

Groovy Plants Ranch
If it wasn't for Farm Bureau, I personally, along with many others, would not have had the opportunity to meet with our representatives face to face in Washington.
Austin Heil's avatar
Austin Heil

Hardin County Farm Bureau

Washington, D.C. Leadership Experience
So many of the issues that OFBF and its members are advocating for are important to all Ohioans. I look at OFBF as an agricultural watchdog advocating for farmers and rural communities across Ohio.
Mary Smallsreed's avatar
Mary Smallsreed

Trumbull County Farm Bureau

Suggested Tags: